Visa Crunch

Work Opportunities for Indian Graduates in the US

It is entirely possible to work in the United States after completing your studies, especially if you have graduated from a prestigious university. Many Indian nationals, including Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Google CEO Sundar Pichai, have achieved unprecedented success in the United States after graduating from a US university.

If you have an F-1 visa, you are only allowed to stay in the United States for 60 days after your graduation date. As a result, it’s best to plan ahead of time to ensure you’ll be able to legally work in the United States by the time you graduate.

The following detail is a comprehensive guide for Indian graduates:

Work While Studying

Finding work while studying is the best way to accomplish this. Internships and part-time work are excellent ways to learn new skills and gain experience in your field. You’ll also be able to show your amount of experience to a potential employer. You have the freedom to work in the United States under the F-1 visa, but there are some constraints. On-campus work is the most adaptable type of work you can do; in most cases, you won’t need permission from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Students can work up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time during holidays and vacations. You may need to apply for optional practical training (OPT) or curricular practical training (CPT) status for off-campus work.

Both will allow you to work off-campus while earning your degree, with the only thing that is different being that the CPT should be used for an internship or work components of your degree. Moreover, you should be aware that OPT only allows students to work for a twelve-month period, and this does not reset once you graduate. This implies that if you choose to work off-campus during your four months of study, you would only have four months available to you after you graduate.

Working in the United States after finishing your studies is the ultimate goal. You can do so under a variety of visas, including:

Of course, working in the United States after finishing your studies is the ultimate goal. You can do so under a variety of visas, including:

Optical Practical Training:

OPT also allows you to work in any field after you graduate as long as it is related to your field of study. This is generally more advantageous to overseas students because it allows for flexibility than the CPT, which should be completed as a subject in the curriculum of a programme.

In general, an F-1 student who has studied full-time in the United States for at least one year may be eligible for OPT. You will be able to stay and work in the United States for up to a year under OPT. STEM students or recent graduates may be eligible for a 24-month extension.

The best part is that to apply for OPT, you do not need to have a job offer. It’s an excellent way for you to network within your industry.

This may also assist you in obtaining sponsorship from a US employer interested in hiring you on a long term basis under an H-1B visa.

Applying for OPT takes a good amount of time, so plan ahead of time. As per the USCIS, you can apply for post-completion OPT 90 days before or 60 days after completing your degree.

The following is how to apply for OPT:

  • Your Designated School Official (DSO) must submit an OPT request to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
  • Your DSO will verify your eligibility and update your application form as needed.
  • After that, you’ll need to fill out Form I-765, which requests employment authorization. If you require assistance with this, you should contact your university.
  • Wait for USCIS to approve your OPT. After that, you can start working.

H-1B Visa

A further option for working in the United States is to be sponsored by an employer through the H-1B visa, which is usually specifically linked to your field of study. This allows you to reside and work in the United States for up to six years. If you have an employer willing to sponsor you, you can transfer your F-1 student visa for this type of visa, or you can use the OPT visa to acquire some professional experience at a company that may then be willing to sponsor you.

With the H-1B visa, you will be able to earn the same wages and work conditions as your American counterparts. Finding an employer willing to sponsor you entails the following steps:

First and probably most important, eliminate any companies that do not sponsor international candidates. Look for companies that are welcoming to international students and foreigners. Jobs should be certain of the field in which you have studied and completed graduation. Practising for interviews and updating your resume can be a good way, to begin with. It is always best to be as prepared as possible to make sure that you appear as appealing to your potential future employer as possible.

Green Card

You can obtain a green card, your key to permanent residency in the United States with time, effort, and dedication. Due to the sheer high demand, this can be difficult, but not unattainable. You can apply for a green card either on your own or through your employer. If you have worked for a US company for a few years and have proven to your employer that you are a valuable asset, they may be willing to submit an application on your behalf.

Read all the Latest News here. Follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates.

No Spam, we promise.

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular

Most discussed


Book your appoinment today!