Visa Crunch

What To Do If Your ‘Green Card’ Is Expired, Lost, Or Stolen?

Expired Cards: Residents who have a 10-year Permanent Resident card in their possession may board a US-bound flight even if their card is expired.  They need no additional travel documents.  Arrive at the airport 3 to 4 hours before your flight departs, however, to allow your airline time to address the issue.

 A Resident with an expired 2-year Permanent Resident card and an original I-797 Notice of Action extending the expiry date of the card may also board.  Again, check-in early for your flight.  If you have only a photocopy of the I-797, you will need a Boarding Foil.

Lost, Stolen or Mutilated:  If your Permanent Resident Card has been lost or stolen or is mutilated, you will need a Boarding Foil from the US Embassy.   

You can review the process for Legal Permanent Residents to obtain a Boarding Foil by visiting the “Information for Legal Permanent Residents” page on the Embassy website.

Please make sure to read the instructions for Form I-131A in full before making any payment or scheduling an appointment.  If you have an urgent need to travel, please email and provide the reason(s) why immediate travel is required, together with evidence of the same, if any.

Many applicants receive inaccurate information from outside sources about the documents they need to board and pay a fee when it is unnecessary.  We encourage you to consult with your airline first and follow up with the Consular Section before paying the $575 Non-refundable fee.

Legal Disclaimer: This article is provided for information purposes only.

Read all the Latest News here. Follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and LinkedIn.

Harsh V Singh

Harsh V Singh

Manager - Creative Content.

An avid book reader and a traveller.

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates.

No Spam, we promise.

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular

Most discussed


Book your appoinment today!