For critical employees and foreign student graduates in Canada, Immigration minister Marco Mendicino has proposed a new open work permit option. Temporary residents who filed for the recently announced road to permanent residency will be eligible for an open work permit beginning July 26 as they await a verdict on their application.
What are the requirements for the new open work permit?
- Applicants who do not apply for this new open work visa are at risk of having to leave the country even if they have already registered for a program that is meant to assist them to stay in Canada. Work permits issued under this program will be valid until the end of December 2022.
- This implies that people who apply for the new programs won’t have to worry about their temporary status running out. They can apply for this new work permit if their present employment or study permit expires before IRCC accepts or refuses their application.
Applicants must demonstrate the following in order to be considered for this one-time open work permit:
- Applied under one of the new permanent residency paths;
- Were permitted to work at the time of their application;
- Have a valid work permit that expires in the next four months;
- At the time their open work permit application is submitted, they hold temporary residence status, maintained status, or are able to restore their status;
- Are in Canada at the time of their open work permit application;
- Were working in any occupation at the time of their permanent residence application;
- And met the language criteria of the stream in which they applied at the time of their application.
- The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner, as well as dependant children over the age of 18, are eligible for the open work visa if they are also in Canada.
In a news release, Mendicino remarked, “Our new road to permanent residency for 90,000 vital employees and international graduates is a huge step forward – the scale pace, and scope of which is unparalleled.” This new open work permit guarantees that people who have been crucial to the pandemic’s success may continue to provide outstanding service.
One may also be eligible to keep their status if they apply for a work permit extension before their existing one expired. While IRCC prepares a new permit, this would allow them to work without permission under the same terms as their previous permit. On July 26, 2021, the IRCC’s website will be updated with further information on how to apply for the new open work permit online.
Although there are other alternatives for helping people stay in Canada, the new policy will assist fill in some of the gaps. For example, as part of the government’s temporary solution announced in January, overseas student graduates can apply for a new Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). This opportunity, however, will expire on July 27. The new routes are accepting applications through November 5, and there is still space in most of the programs for new entrants. Only the International Graduates Stream is currently filled.
To read about how the number of international students is increasing to acquire Canadian citizenship, check out the link below: