Visa Crunch

Want to know whether your work experience is eligible for Express Entry in Canada?

Work experience is only deemed “skilled” for Express Entry purposes if it is classified as such in Canada’s occupational classification system. When Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) evaluates your work experience, it considers how much schooling you’ll need to execute the job. In general, the higher your occupational skill level, the more education, and experience you need to work in your profession. The 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC) is now used in Canada to assess a job’s skill level.

For economic-class immigration, the NOC is typically used by IRCC to assess how a given immigration candidate’s job experience will serve the mandate of the immigration program they are seeking for. Economic-class immigration policies are aimed to help Canada’s labor market and long-term growth by filling job shortages with foreign talent. The precise employment does not matter as much as the ability level when it comes to Express Entry. IRCC will match your job duties to the NOC description to identify your occupation and whether it is skilled while evaluating your application. On the Canadian government’s website, there are five NOC competence levels mentioned. They include:

  • Skill Type 0 (zero): management jobs, such as restaurant managers, mine managers, and shore captains (fishing).
  • Skill Level A: professional jobs that usually call for a degree from a university, such as doctors, dentists, and architects.
  • Skill Level B: technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice, such as chefs, plumbers, and electricians.
  • Skill Level C: intermediate jobs that usually call for high school and/or job-specific training, such as industrial butchers, long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers.
  • Skill Level D: labor jobs that usually give on-the-job training, such as fruit pickers, cleaning staff, and oil field workers.

Those jobs that fall within skill types 0, A, and B are deemed “skilled” for the purposes of Express Entry. To be qualified for one of the three Express Entry-managed immigration programs, you must have relevant job experience. Depending on the program you’re applying for, you’ll require different amounts of job experience. “Full-time” is defined by the IRCC as 30 hours per week. This amounts to 1,560 hours over the course of a year. You can complete this requirement in a variety of ways, including working full-time for a year or part-time. You can work more or less than 15 hours per week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours for a part-time job.

Any hours done in excess of 30 per week are not counted by IRCC. As a result, you won’t be able to work longer hours any faster. In addition, for the purposes of an Express Entry-managed program, all work experience must be paid. Unpaid internships and volunteer work do not count.

Eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Work Program (FSWP)

Work experience, language competence, and education requirements must all be met to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).

Within the last ten years, you must have at least one year of skilled work experience. Your previous job experience, which you utilize to qualify for the program, must match your major occupation in your immigration application. After you’ve met the program’s basic eligibility standards, IRCC evaluates your application using a points system. To pass, you must get a score of at least 67 out of 100. Work experience accounts for at least 15 of these points.

You must have worked full-time in a skilled occupation for at least one year to receive points for your work experience. It must sum up to 1,560 hours in total. Part-time work counts if it adds up to the required number of hours in the ten years leading to your application. It doesn’t matter if you worked in Canada or overseas if it was while you were studying or if you were self-employed outside of Canada. In Canada, self-employment does not qualify.

You must have at least six years of qualified job experience to receive the full 15 points. You will receive nine points if you have only one year of job experience. 11 points are earned after two to three years, and 13 points are earned after four to five years of job experience. If you have at least one year of full-time, competent job experience in Canada, you can earn an extra ten points for “adaptability.”

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates.

No Spam, we promise.

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular

Most discussed


Book your appoinment today!