Visa Crunch

Skill-Based Courses Are Becoming Increasingly Popular Among Students Looking To Study Abroad, Say, Experts

Indian students are graduating into an employment market that is changing thanks to automation and the pandemic. According to Coursera’s Campus Skills Report 2022, there is a strong correlation between skill trends and the courses that Indian students are applying to at foreign universities. As per the report, Indian students chose fundamentally important and digital skill-based courses ranging from C programming to cloud computing both in India as well as abroad.

According to the report, students from all disciplines are pursuing technology skills such as computer and statistical programming in order to secure jobs in the tech sector. Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, and other advanced digital skill-based courses have seen an increase in demand. Students are increasingly looking for niche courses that are gaining traction in the professional world and can provide exciting career opportunities.

As per a Redseer survey in India, 70% of learners preparing for studying abroad choose specialised or skill-based courses, while the remaining 30% choose general courses. Conventionally, study abroad applicants are concerned with fees, future employment opportunities, potential salaries, and developing a pandemic-proof career. Tarun Aggarwal, Head StudyAbroad at CollegeDekho, believes that subjects like Computer Sciences provide students with the opportunity to work in an industry that meets all of the above requirements.

“The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that computer and IT jobs will grow by 13 percent between 2020 and 2030. This is faster than the average projected growth across all occupations. This means more employment opportunities and better salary packages. Also, computer and IT jobs are compliant with remote working environments which makes them secure from the adverse effects of the pandemic like lockdowns and travel restrictions,” added Aggarwal.

Shubham Gupta, a Delhi student, has decided to apply for a bachelor’s degree in information technology at the University of Queensland in Australia. He thinks that he decided to pursue a skill-based course that was influenced by a variety of factors, including post-study work opportunities, course relevance in a decade, and improved economic stability.

“In terms of opportunities, the demand for skill-based courses such as data analysis, AI, ML, and cyber security happens to be present at international locations and this demand is here to stay for the next two decades. Hence, after considering all necessary factors I chose to study IT and not any other generic course. Education is of no use if it cannot generate employment… At least that’s what I believe,” shared Gupta.

Aside from career prospects and better job prospects, studies pointed out that India’s hyper-competitive landscape for admission to skill-based courses is constantly driving the shift of such students applying to the same course at universities and colleges abroad.

“The actual number of seats is far less than the number of eligible candidates for the skill-based or tech courses. This leads the parents to send their children abroad to get more opportunities,” a study-abroad consultant said.

In the meantime, over the last decade, foreign universities have launched hundreds of programmes designed to train students in these in-demand skillsets.

Legal Disclaimer: This article is provided for information purposes only.

Read all the Latest News here. Follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and LinkedIn.

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates.

No Spam, we promise.

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular

Most discussed


Book your appoinment today!