Visa Crunch

International Students In Australia: What To Do If You Get COVID-19? Where You Can Find Help?

By Yash Yadav

Covid-19 has been spreading at a very rapid pace and study abroad destinations such as Australia are not spared. The numbers have already reached one million. So what are the ways to overcome the situation if any student comes in contact with Covid-19?

Luckily, there are various forms of support whether it may be emotionally or financially from universities to the government.

NGOs and NPOs can help international students in Australia

International students have to deal with a plethora of problems due to Covid 19, however, students can reach a number of organizations including non-profit organisations for student support. The list for this purpose is given below:

  • The Australian Psychological Society-For advice regarding maintaining positive mental health
  • ASKPEACE Project-For virtual mental health support for people from non-English speaking backgrounds
  • Beyond Blue-For practical advice and resources, as well as short-term counselling
  • Head to Health-Regarding COVID-19 and mental health support in your language
  • Lifeline Australia-For access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services
  • The Salvation Army-Regarding financial assistance and counselling

Student support from Australian universities

As a worldwide student in Australia, one of the best spots to look to for help or support can be your university. Some even may support financially, the University of Melbourne, for example, offers Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), or free, secret, short-term professional counselling to currently enrolled students and staff, also a range of workshops, mental health training and needed resources.

Monash University takes note that their counsellors are offering telehealth (video or telephone) consultations. Monash students can enjoy a free appointment.

Government assistance

Worldwide students in Australia can likewise get to a multi-lingual global student support service. The Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) list information regarding Covid-19 data for foreign students.

In case you have been impacted by Covid 19, contact them via phone at (+61) 1300 981 621 from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. or email at

If your friends or relatives are showing symptoms such as cough, sore throat or fever it is better to contact your local doctor. You can also check your symptoms using the Coronavirus (Covid-19) symptom checker. Call prior to visit and explain your symptoms in detail.

In case of an emergency, you can call 000. Any ambulance and hospital fees will be covered by your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Read all the Latest News here. Follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and LinkedIn.

Subscribe to get the latest news and updates.

No Spam, we promise.

Add comment

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular

Most discussed


Book your appoinment today!